[dlc-dev] Support for non-corresponding multi-oracle DLCs

Nadav Kohen nadavk25 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 09:28:20 CET 2021

Hi Thibaut,

Thanks for the response, I'll try to present a couple examples that might
help clarify things.

As a toy example, say that you are using 2-of-3 (unsigned) numeric oracles,
Alice, Bob, and Carol, where Alice and Bob both have `num_digits = 7` but
Carol only has `num_digits = 6`.
Let's say that you and I enter into a DLC with 127,000 satoshis collateral
on the payout curve `offer_payout = outcome*1,000`.
Under either option, we build as if everyone had `num_digits = 6` but where
we add the prefix digit 0 for all Alice and Bob digit prefixes.
Then, after the normal CET set is built, we need to build CETs to cover the
cases where Alice and/or Bob sign a leading digit of 1 (outcome >= 64).
Under Option 1, we would simply have our payout curve defined only on the
`num_digits = 6` domain where the final value corresponds to `63 or more`.
Under Option 2, we would build CETs to actually cover the payout curve for
the entire domain (picked by the users, which can reach any number from 63
to 127) in the case that Alice and Bob agree, but in the case that they
disagree, we essentially don't have 2-of-3 protection because Carol offers
no protection other than that `outcome >= 63` so that either Alice's or
Bob's price can be used to execute.

As a toy example for enumerated events, say we are using 2-of-3
weather enum oracles, Alice, Bob, and Carol, where Alice and Bob both have
the enums ['sunny', 'cloudy', 'precipitation'] but Carol has the enum
['sunny', 'cloudy', 'raining', 'snowing', 'hailing'].
This seems to me like a situation we would want to be able to support
because it seems intuitively right that we should be able to build a
contract on the first enum and have valid execution include paths like
"Alice says precipitation and Carol says snowing."
As such this seems like something worth supporting and the two proposals
I've come up with are to either have a list [ { "Alice" : "sunny", "Bob" :
"sunny" }, ..., { "Bob" : "precipitation", "Carol" : "hailing" } ] (where
names will likely be replaced with indices or something) of all CETs that
need to be built or else we can construct a single meta-enum [ "sunny",
"cloudy", "precipitation" ] along with a map for each oracle's events to
this meta-enum (identity map for Alice and Bob in this example, and for
Carol it is sunny -> sunny, cloudy -> cloudy, and all others to
precipitation) and then build a contract (i.e. payouts) on top of this
meta-enum as you would for a single oracle.

Hope this clears things up, interested in your thoughts :)

Nadav